The First Baptist Church of Cuba began as the Second Baptist Church. Forty-one members of the Friendship Baptist Church, living in Cuba were granted permission to organize their own church on January 19, 1834 becoming the first church in Cuba. There had previously been a small Baptist Church on Jackson Hill in the town of Cuba, hence the “Second” designation. The name First Baptist Church was made official in 1943.
From the beginning the new church prospered, building its first meeting house in 1838. It survived both the spiritual upheaval of the “Millerite Delusion” in 1845 and the total destruction of its meeting house by fire on March 25, 1870. The very next day plans were made to build the brick structure, which is the present sanctuary.
The new church was dedicated on August 31, 1871; extensively repaired and remodeled in 1895; and a large addition (the present “Court” area) completed in 1908. The modern Christian Education facility with its spacious Fellowship Hall and kitchen were completed in 1965.
A much needed parking area was provided in 1985, and in 1986 our building was made accessible to the handicapped by the addition of a ramp into the Fellowship Hall and chairlift into the Court. In 2008, the adjacent corner lot property was purchased for additional parking. 2009 marked the completion of a 3 year major capital improvements effort that focused on several structural repairs and facility upgrades.
Today the Cuba First Baptist Church has an excellent facility for its many ministries and programs. In addition to gathering here for inspiration, education, and fellowship, we constantly seek to look beyond our walls to discern local needs and minister to our community. As we strive to be the hands and feet of Jesus, we invite you to come join with us in worship and service.